1895Gunner

WINCHESTER REPEATING ARMS

1 8 9 5 G U N N E R.C O M
Hunter
|

Adventurer
|

Writer
|

Conservationist
_______________________________________


Winchester Repeating Arms

1860 to Present

Winchester Model 94
Winchester Model 1892
Winchester Model 1886
Winchester Model 1885
Model 94
Updating


Model 1892
Updating


Model 1886
Updating


Model 1885
Updating


Winchester Model 1873
Winchester Model 1866
Winchester Model 1895
Model 1873
Updating


Model 1866
Updating


Model 1895
Updating






The Winchester Repeating Arms Company was a prominent American maker of repeating firearms, located in New Haven, Connecticut. The Winchester brand is today used under license by two subsidiaries of the Herstal Group, Fabrique Nationale (FN) of Belgium and the Browning Arms Company of Morgan, Utah.

The ancestor of the Winchester Repeating Arms Company was the Horace Smith and Daniel Wesson partnership of Norwich, Connecticut (not to be confused with the famous Smith & Wesson Revolver Company founded later by the same men). Messrs. Smith & Wesson acquired Lewis Jennings’ improved version of inventor Walter Hunt’s 1848 “Volition Repeating Rifle” and its caseless “Rocket Ball” ammunition, which had been produced in small numbers by Robbins & Lawrence of Windsor, Vermont. Jennings’ rifle was a commercial failure, and Robbins & Lawrence ceased production in 1852. Smith designed a much-improved rifle based on Jennings’, and the partners hired away Robbins & Lawrence shop foreman Benjamin Tyler Henry. In 1855 the Smith & Wesson partnership, in order to manufacture what they called the “Volcanic” lever-action rifle and pistol, sought investors and incorporated as the Volcanic Repeating Arms Company. Its largest stockholder was clothing manufacturer Oliver Winchester (Nov. 30, 1810 – Dec. 10, 1880).

The Volcanic rifle had only limited success due, in large part to the company’s over capitalization in machinery assets during its start-up in 1855. The company moved to New Haven (without Smith or Wesson) in 1856, but by the end of that year became insolvent. Oliver Winchester and his partner John M. Davies purchased the bankrupt firm’s assets from the remaining stockholders, and reorganized it as the New Haven Arms Company in April 1857. After Smith’s departure Benjamin Henry continued to work with a Smith development project, the self-contained metallic rimfire cartridge, and perfected the much larger, more powerful .44 Henry round. Henry also supervised a new rifle design based loosely on the Volcanic to use the new ammunition, retaining only the general form of the breech mechanism and the tubular magazine. This became the Henry rifle of 1860, which was manufactured by the New Haven Arms Company, and used in considerable numbers by certain Union army units in the American Civil War. The Henry rifle ensured New Haven Arms’ success, and together with the Spencer rifle established the lever-action repeater in the firearms market.





_____________________________________________



Make sure to hit the Subscribe button to be notified
when additional manufacturing data is entered online!

Quick Links
 
Home
 
Load Data
 
Bullet Points




BE SURE TO CHECK OUT & FOLLOW MY INSTAGRAM FEED
45-70 reloads
45-70 Starline Brass Cases
45-70 on the MEC Marksman
45-70 on the reloading bench
Taurus Judges





CONNECT WITH THE 1895GUNNER.COM COMMUNITY

"Purveyor of 45-70 Lever Action Rifles, Reloading Ammo, Shooting & Hunting"


facebook     print     youtube     email     Instagram     Twitter     Pinterest

Copyright @ 2020 - 2021 1895Gunner - All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy - Terms & Conditions